Painting Culture: The Making of an Aboriginal High Art (Objects/Histories)
About the author
Since the early s, Fred R. Myers has studied—often as a participant-observer—the Pintupi, one of several Aboriginal groups who paint the famous acrylic works. Describing their paintings and the complicated cultural issues they raise, Myers looks at how the paintings represent Aboriginal people and their culture and how their heritage is translated into exchangeable values.
He tracks the way these paintings become high art as they move outward from indigenous communities through and among other social institutions—the world of dealers, museums, and critics. At the same time, he shows how this change in the status of the acrylic paintings is directly related to the initiative of the painters themselves and their hopes for greater levels of recognition.
After the Fall In the Arts Industry. Materializing Culture and the New Internationalism.
- ISBN 13: 9780822329497;
- Point of No Return?
- ISBN 10: 0822329492?
- The rise of specialised exhibitions and curatorship of Indigenous art?
- MacApps Crew (Venorok 1) (German Edition).
Unsettled Business. Recontextualizations The Traffic in Culture. May be ex-library. Buy with confidence, excellent customer service!
Log-in or create an account first! Ask the seller a question.http://yourdairygold2.alpharages.com/5409-contactos-hombres.php
MDS: | LibraryThing
Collecting proofs, galleys, and advance reviews Devoted collectors of rare books will love finding proofs, galleys, and advance review copies of their favorite pieces of literature. A special order item has limited availability and the seller may source this title from another supplier. In this event, there may be a slight delay in shipping and possible variation in description.
- Counting to Infinity (Jake Diamond Mystery Book 3).
- By Lantern Light;
- Mistralmorde: Commissaire Papperins erster Fall - ein Provencekrimi (German Edition).
- Duke University Press - Painting Culture?
- Melvil Decimal System: 759.994.
Our Day return guarantee still applies. Advanced Book Search Browse by Subject.
- Land, loss and identity: art of a great Pintupi lineage | NGV.
- Paintings, Publics, and Protocols: the early paintings from Papunya.
- Angle dattaque - Nouvelles inédites (Harry Bosch) (French Edition)?
- Moments of Mutuality. Rearticulating Social Justice in France and the EU.
Make an Offer. Find Rare Books Book Value.